Newtown Pentecostal Church first started from a crusade meeting in a tent organised by Pastor Howell Harris in 1948. In the early 1950s the church became affiliated to the Assemblies of God and meetings were held in various venues in the town until in 1977 a new church was built on the Dolfor Road site. This was extended in 1989, with further extensions and upgrading of the foyer area in 2003.
Pastor Alan Hewitt, the present Senior Pastor, arrived to lead the Church in May 1985. Since 2000 the Church’s involvement with the local community has greatly increased. Bethshan Nursing Home, Newtown Street Pastors and Hope Day Nursery are all projects started and run by the Church (see separate entries).
Over the years there has been a steady increase in the number of Church Partners and great growth in the range of ministries and activities.